Tuesday, June 27, 2017

PROJECT #10 - Photo Essay





What a crazy journey it was to complete this photo essay. The first idea was to document the homeless community in Middletown. I had worked out something with the Soup Kitchen, but when I got there, the people eating were totally not comfortable. My next idea was to match 20th century photographs of downtown Middletown to present day, and then we spoke about how someone else had done the same thing. So, of course, I had to go in another path. I had all the pictures of downtown Middletown that I really wanted to use, so I thought about the city being reborn, and taken back by nature. I remembered the poem by Emily Dickinson, and the idea sparked. I wanted these pictures to feel arrested in time. I used several different locations, but all are within the Middletown/Pine Bush area.

In Photoshop - I made minor adjustments to vibrance, contrast, and saturation to each image. I didn't want to edit them too much, as I felt it would take away from the impact I was going for.

Compositional Elements: I wanted a lot of texture, pattern, and depth, which I believe I achieved.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I believe the strongest part of my photo essay was the order of the image, I felt it did convey the poem, and it's meaning. I feel the weakest part of the photo essay would be some of the image depth of field. I would have also liked to show the grit and dirt on the buildings int he last photo. Overall I was uncomfortable taking this project on. The whole idea of creating a story with the images was overwhelming... but, inspiration was a real motivator, and then I really felt the "decisive moment" of each image. 


No comments:

Post a Comment