Thursday, June 15, 2017

PROJECT #6 - Light - Aerial Peace, Battlefield, Steeling Metaphysics



Aerial Peace
I had been seeing a lot of birds this past week, and thought they were so peaceful just sitting there. Our house is situated where sunsets are directly in front of our home. I was attempting to get a lens flare, when this bird just landed on the power line in front of me. Instant MUSE.

CAMERA SETTINGS
WB: Sunny
Aperture: F10
Shutter Speed: 1/125 
ISO: 100

It is sunset after an intensely hot day – I find the mood to be peaceful, and airy. The sun is setting to the right of the picture, technically right below the bottom right.


In Photoshop – I had to crop the image, and bring it beyond the left border of the image. I did this so I could patch tool the wire into the upper left hand corner, so it did a firm diagonal to the lower right corner. I then adjusted the color balance and vibrance.

Compositional Elements – I believe leading lines, and the rule of thirds are the two elements I was attempting to achieve.




Battlefield

I was intrigued with the picture shown in class of the headlights (from our back patio) illuminating the feet and crow bar of an unnamed assailant. I was inspired to set up my husband in pseudo-warrior fashion.

CAMERA SETTINGS
WB: Sunny
Aperture: F16
Shutter Speed: 1/2000
ISO: 25600

This was taken 20minutes after sunset and we are in the dusk period of the evening. There is a flood lamp on behind the head of my subject. I find this to be an intense mood, almost like a coiled spring.

In Photoshop – I reduced the noise, and despeckled the image. I then used a magnetic lasso to isolate the background, which allowed for me to color balance the sky of the image.

Compositional Elements – I am kind of at a loss for compositional elements – I find there is a balance, and a definite mood to it – almost narrative.


Steeling Metaphysics

There was no inspiration for this picture, it was a lucky capture while exploring Storm King Museum.


CAMERA SETTINGS
WB: AUTO
Aperture: F22
Shutter Speed: 1/80
ISO: 100


The sun is directly overhead in this image, and I find the mood to be uplifting, and freeing.


In Photoshop – I just adjusted the vibrancy of the image. I am epically proud of it.

Compositional Elements – multiple leading lines from the sculpture.



FINAL THOUGHTS

I believe all three of these images have strengths. The glare of the light on the ax, the angle of the wire, and the lens flare on the sculpture. I am very proud of the colors, and clarity of the images. The weak aspects are minor, but I wish I was able to achieve the ax picture more quickly, and while the sun was setting behind my husband. With the bird, I wish during editing I was able to obtain a less “sherbet ” looking sunset. Even after I adjusted it in class, it’s still a little cartoony…. But beautiful. I wish with the sculpture photo that I was able to clear up the steel, and make it more legible, to give it a more organic feel.



No comments:

Post a Comment