Thursday, June 8, 2017

PROJECT #4 - Depth of Field - Maturity, Solitude and Reflection

Depth of field is the distance between the nearest and farthest objects in a scene that appear acceptably sharp in an image. A photo with a shallow depth of field means that your subject is in focus, while the objects beyond (or right in front of your) subject are out of focus. A photo with a deep depth of field has all aspects of the image in focus


Taking pictures of my son, Joey, is always a “hit and miss” experience. However, he was very excited to help me with my homework, while we played at the park. We were towards the end of the day (4pm) and the sun hung in the west, about a third of the way to the horizon line, with very little cloud cover, however there were quite a few trees causing shade.

Solitude 1
Depth of Field Project - Shallow

CAMERA SETTINGS
WB: Sunny
Aperture: F4.5
Shutter Speed: 1/800
ISO: 400

Solitude 2
Depth of Field Project - Deep

CAMERA SETTINGS
WB: Sunny
Aperture: F20
Shutter Speed: 1/125
ISO: 1000


ABOUT THESE IMAGES:

In Photoshop – all I did was adjust his eyes, so that they were more piercing. I achieved this by isolating his eyes with the magnetic lasso, and then increased the brightness, contrast and vibrance.

Compositional elements – I believe the pier creates a frame around Joey, also they are lines that draw the eye to the rear of the picture






Reflection 1
Depth of Field Project - Shallow

CAMERA SETTINGS
WB: Sunny
Aperture: F4.5
Shutter Speed: 1/1000 
ISO: 100


Reflection 2
Depth of Field Project - Deep


CAMERA SETTINGS
WB: Sunny
Aperture: F22
Shutter Speed: 1/125 
ISO: 360



ABOUT THESE IMAGES:

In Photoshop – with the deep depth of field, I had to decrease the exposure and brightness of the image, so that it matched the coloring of the shall depth of field example.


Compositional elements – I feel that lines are used here, you almost wonder what he is looking at in the water (to be honest, they were weird fish, that saw us sitting by the water, and were expecting us to feed them, so they were lining up.) I think if I cropped the picture, I may be able to achieve the rule of thirds.


Maturity
Depth of Field Project - Shallow
(Submitted for Critique)


CAMERA SETTINGS
WB: Sunny
Aperture: F6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/500
ISO: 2000


ABOUT THIS IMAGE:

In Photoshop - Using the magnetic lasso, I isolated the background of the image, and I increased the vibrance of the image. I, then, inverted the lasso, and decreased brightness while increasing the contrast of the image. On the whole image I decreased the gamma correction of the image.
Compositional Elements: I believe symmetry is obtained in this image



FINAL THOUGHTS


I believe that I achieved the requirements of this assignment in all of these images. I find the images to be sharp, and eye catching (but, I’m biased, I really like my kid). I believe the images of him sitting on the pier to be a tad dark, I may want to adjust the exposure of the image, or just brighten him. I also wish that I captured the photo of him on the bridge better, since he is slightly blurred, and the bridge is more in focus. 


No comments:

Post a Comment